Presidential Profiles: Pro-Obama

Get all of your news for election 2012 here!

Gay marriage, abortion rights, and Obamacare. Those are just a few of the policies and programs that will be in effect under the leadership of Barack Obama. Right now the presidential race is neck and neck, but in my mind our current president is looking better every day. From Paul Ryan getting booed by AARP members, to Romney supposedly applying self tanner at a Univision interview (apparently the work of a slap happy makeup artist), the Republicans may still lose the support of many Americans, including Latino voters and the elderly. The Republican party nominated a moderately conservative candidate, which appealed to the non-liberal half of America, but once Paul Ryan was announced as his ultra-conservative running mate, many who were on the fence hopped over to the Democratic side. According to the Huffington Post, as of August, Romney had almost no support from black voters, despite his mantra of being able to relate to and accurately represent all of America.

Women who want to be in control of their bodies and not be ashamed of their life choices will vote for Obama because of his attitude towards abortion and access to birth control. A recent study in St. Louis showed that when over 9,000 women were given access to free contraception for 3 years, the abortion rate dropped by 70%. This is a great example of the positive effects Obama’s policies would have on women if he is reelected. Obama repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” and supports legal recognition of same sex marriage and says that the states should be allowed to decide, while Romney wants to ban same sex marriage with a constitutional amendment. Obama has said that he is supportive of reintroducing the ban on assault weapons and stricter gun laws; Mitt Romney is against stricter gun laws.

As if social issues are not enough, Obama’s policies on energy are far better for the environment, for our health, and our wallets. In an effort to reduce fuel usage and help cut down on greenhouse gases, the Obama administration issued new rules in August requiring car companies to raise the fuel efficiency of cars and light trucks to an average of 54.5 miles per gallon by model year 2025. According to the White House, in total, the Administration’s program will reduce oil consumption by 12 billion barrels and will save Americans 1.7 trillion dollars in fuel costs. Governor Romney said that green energy is not yet a viable option and that the effects of climate change are not known, according to the Sacramento Bee. Romney wants to lessen foreign dependence on oil by opening up lands and drilling in North America and is not interested in exploring energy options for the future, such as solar and wind.

In matters of foreign policy and war, Obama ended the war in Iraq, which will save the U.S. billions of dollars and brought home thousands of troops to their families. The president is planning on pulling all troops out of Afghanistan by 2014 as well, while Romney remains somewhat vague about his plans for Afghanistan. In addition, Obama is planning to cut $487 billion dollars in military costs over the course of a decade by cutting the size of the Army and Marines, according to the Sacramento Bee. Romney, however, wants to increase the number of troops and warships, adding roughly $100 billion to the military budget in 2016, even though these increases have not been requested by the Pentagon. Obama approved the raid that killed Osama bin Laden and created a policy that would end cruel interrogation methods, while Romney said that he does not consider waterboarding to be torture.

Although Obama’s health care policy has been the subject of criticism and scrutiny, it is beneficial for all Americans. Under Obamacare everybody will have access to health care and insurance companies will not be allowed to deny coverage to people because of preexisting conditions. Obamacare will also make larger employers include contraception for women in their health insurance plans.

In matters of education, Obama will no longer continue the No Child Left Behind law, which cut funding for schools if the students did not do well on a standardized test, which only stressed teachers and students and made for a bad learning environment. Obama and Romney have vastly different views and ideals and goals, and the paths they will take our country down are completely different. As First Lady Michelle Obama said, “At the end of the day, when it comes time to make that decision, as President, all you have to guide you are your values, and your vision, and the life experiences that make you who you are.”

By Natalie Camrud ’13, Editor-in-Chief

See more articles by Natalie Camrud

There are no comments

Add yours

Get the discussion going! Leave a comment or reply below.